If you subscribe to the direct tv promos and sports programs then you know all about the hot news in football. Football is America’s most popular sport. Millions of fans flock to games each year, with countless more watching the action on television. Football requires mental and physical resilience and toughness. The pressure to win is intense at the pro and college levels. Unfortunately, some teams and players succumb to the temptation to cheat. Here are five major football scandals.
1. “Spygate”. The New England Patriots won three Super Bowls from 2001-2004, but their accomplishments were arguably tainted by the “spygate” scandal, which involved the revelation that the franchise had secretly videotaped other teams.
2. “Bountygate”. The New Orleans Saints saw several defensive starters and popular head coach Sean Payton suspended in 2012 after the NFL concluded that the defensive players were awarded financial bounties for injuring specific opponents.
3. Southern Methodist University in the 1980′s. SMU, a private Dallas university, became a major power in the Southwest Conference during the ’80s. The program committed a slew of NCAA violations, including paying illegal payments to players. The program was given the death penalty by the NCAA.
4. Jim Tressel’s downfall. The highly successful Ohio State coach was fired in 2012 after it was discovered that he had deliberately lied and covered up the actions of some of his players, who had sold tattoos and other memorabilia.
5. Free Shoes University. Florida State was the epitome of an elite program in the 1990′s. However, they found themselves in hot water after some players received fancy athletic shoes for free.